Sunday, May 13, 2012

Melbourne High


First stop was Melbourne High, a selective public all-boys high school, and an impressive place.  The principal said that 99% of the graduates go on to college, and many go on to be leaders in medicine, business, law, and politics.  No Prime Ministers yet (the school has been around since 1905 in its modern form), but many cabinet ministers and state Premiers.

I gave a short talk to the two upper grades, about 660 students.  The assembly was quite formal, with the faculty in academic gowns and all of the students in uniform (jackets and ties).   I encouraged them to come to the U.S. to study, although they may be put off by the Madison winters: there was a gasp when I said the temperatures  in Madison can get down to -25 C. 

Here’s a shot taken by the consular officer, Gabrielle Connellan:




After the talk, I was presented with a gift –a beautiful pen and key chain. 

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi! i am a student of Melbourne High School, and I would just like to say that I personally found your speech to be engaging and entertaining. Hope you have a good time in the rest of your Australian trip!

PS I used to live in the US when I was younger, and I have to say it was very very cold!

2:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, It was great hearing from you this morning. It was wonderful sitting in the front row and hearing about American Politics. For an American Politics junkie like me, it was good break from the usual leadership and personal development stuff we get to hear every week. I was really looking forward to asking you questions about Gov Walker's recall but you had to leave early. But thanks on behalf of the student cohort for enlighting us about Us Politics.

7:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home